Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cooking up somethin' yummy

I've been a very bad blogger lately.  My whole family got really sick, and my three boys missed almost an entire week of school!  Poor little Elowyn was the last to get infected, and she ended up in the hospital for three days getting breathing treatments.  It was frightening and exhausting, and it made me really thankful that my children are generally healthy.  I've also been a busy little bee, working on house projects, and getting things together to start an Etsy shop.  Yep, that's right, I'm going to start selling some of the little treasures I come across.  It was either that or risk becoming a total hoarder. ;)  I'm going to try and play catch up with my outfit posts and you might get bombarded with a couple back to back.  In the mean time, I hope you'll be sated with sweet little play kitchen update that I did for my darling daughter.  
  I had a hand me down wooden kitchen that was in need of some love.  Things were starting to break and it was looking pretty pathetic.  I figured, while I was repairing, I might as well glamourify too, right?  This is what the kitchen looked like originally:
Now imagine that this kitchen got rolled down a steep hill, glass breaking, handles coming loose, hinges bending, clock hands flying off, etc...'cause that's how mine looked!  I hauled this breast down the stairs and out the door, BY MYSELF! I'm not sure how I didn't get pinned underneath, or break a toe, but I'm sort of a awesome when I set my mind to something. :) 
After everything was cleaned off, and handles removed, the whole piece got primed and sprayed glossy white.  All the handles were sprayed silver.  I mixed the blue from MY kitchen cabinets with the leftover mint color from my sewing nook desk and painted the appliances.  I used Mod Podge to adhere a piece of fabric for the backsplash and number keys (taken from a brochure I cut up) to the microwave control panel.  The stove burners are black vinyl adhesive that I cut into spiral pattern.  
vintage toy pyrex Mod Podge painted play kitchen retro DIY heather bailey Just Peachy, Darling
1950s inspired toy kitchen redo Just Peachy, Darling
The "on" button is actually the word NO that I flipped upside down, clever right?  The aqua salt and pepper shakers are from an estate and the straw inlaid bowl was thrifted.  1950s plastic ware is perfect for a toy kitchen!
Toy Pyrex is the coolest!
I ordered a red rotary toy phone to hang on the fridge, but it hasn't arrived yet.  What do you think?
I repainted the inside of the closet with zigzags to mimic the pattern on her curtains.  The top shelf is where all her vintage hats are stored for future dress up fun.  The floor is in terrible shape, but as soon as that is handled, I'll post pics of the entire room. xox





10 comments:

  1. Super-cute redo, Hannah! Love the (Amy Butler?) fabric! It's amazing what a little paint can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! It's actually Heather Bailey fabric, from the Pop Garden line.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that your family has been battling such poor health recently. Poor little Elowyn. I hope deeply that you'll soon all be completely on the mend again.


    Amazing job on this redo! I want an adult sized version just like it in my real kitchen! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Jessica! Elowyn is feeling much better, thankfully. I'm just waiting for the colossal size goose egg on her head to heal, so I can take some vintage dress pictures with the new dress I found. I wish I had aqua appliances in my kitchen too. ;)

      Delete
  3. OOOOO AHHHHH!!! love the fabric, and the "no" button HAHA so creative!!! and the spiral burners.... Iis ALL cute!!! MAD Props!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm looking to redo this exact kitchen for my kids for Christmas. I could use some pointers! Such as, how much paint should I buy, and are there any brands you prefer? Did you take the whole thing apart to paint? I'm pretty much clueless in this arena, so I'm wondering if it would just be cheaper to buy a new model that I like or if it'd be worth it to get a used one like this to glamourify :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      This is actually pretty inexpensive to achieve. First, make sure to clean the entire kitchen with soapy water and then let dry. Remove the doors, handles, and sink faucet. Use spray primer to cover all visible areas (I left the back alone since it was going to rest against a wall). I actually mixed house paints that I had on hand, but two cans of spray paint would also do the trick. I sprayed the handles and faucet silver. Get creative! I used a fabric remnant for the backsplash, and cut out numbers from an advertisement for the microwave....all FREE! I think it's worth the time to redo a kitchen rather than buy new. You'll save a ton of cash, have something one of a kind, and you can be proud that you are recycling! Good luck and I'd love to see the finished product. xox, Hannah

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...