Sunday, August 12, 2012

Slowly but surely

  When we bought our home, seven years ago, there were a lot of things I loved about our house.  Our kitchen cupboards were not one of them.  They were honey oak colored and I've always loathed them.  It's taken us a really long time to get up the courage to change them.  Of course the work involved with painting cabinets was a deterrent, but the phrase "resale value" kept rearing its ugly head.  I finally had an epiphany.  This is my kitchen.  The next owner can change the house to their taste.  The only person I need to please...is ME!  Okay, my husband should like it too. ;)  First, I bought a deep chocolate brown, an espresso color that I thought would look sophisticated.   We started to take the cabinet doors down and again, I asked myself, was this what I really wanted?  Why had I really chosen this color?  IT WAS SAFE.  Was it going to make  me truly happy? Not really.  I returned to the paint store and exchanged the paint...for Peacock Feather blue.  I'm totally smitten. Here is the before, accursed honey oak:
And now Peacock Feather...
peacock blue cupboards retro kitchen aprons 1950s Just Peachy, Darling
I also primed and painted the refrigerator with chalkboard paint.  It's the perfect place to write phone messages, grocery lists, schedule reminders, and inspire each other.

chalkboard fridge teal cabinets kitchen vintage Just Peachy, Darling
I'd love to replace the back splash and figure out a way to camouflage the dishwasher.  I'd also love a new apron sink, and a George Nelson Saucer Light for over the kitchen table.  I'm not sure those last two are in the budget....ever, but a girl can dream! What do you think of my "ice cave"?



5 comments:

  1. i think it is amazing!!!! so glad you took the brown back!! and i totally want to paint my fridge now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ari and Anitra! Anitra, you should paint your fridge. It was super easy and they even have magnetic primer on the market. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap that blue is so gorgeous! So much more fun than brown. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Julia! It really makes me happy to walk into the kitchen every morning.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...